Tuesday, May 03, 2011

More than just alive

How did you used to tie up your converse?
Rabbit ear or loopedy-loop?
How did you lace your doc martins?
Around the top or straight up?

Now we dress ourselves
In grown up suits
With plastic smiles to match
And is it a sell out
Or did we just forget
The kids we used to be?

She says I'm a anti-emotion now
A hollow tin drum
Who beats in time
To the song of dedication

My cause no government
Or special interest
No charity save my own
Basic survival

I didn't get the memo
That I can get by
Yeah, I can do more
Than just stay alive

There was a time
When the gravity
Of my emotions was
An overwhelming tidal wave

To not only myself
But those around me
Who cowered and dreaded
Those mood swings

The weight of the fist
Not more than my own
Personal choice of
Self-suffocation

Who'd have thought
I could keep it all in
It's the price I paid
For living so long afraid

That now I can't remember
That I can get by
Yeah, I can do more
Than just stay alive

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home