Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thought Police

Stare out the window
Bench stool
Glass pane
All those grownup shoes
Seem to look the same
As you wander past
I don't know
A single thing about you
Except the look on your face
Communal strangers
In this fish bowl
If this glass wasn't here
I could reach out and touch you

From the outside
I'm invisible
On this inside side
Sipping coffee
The occasional glance up
From your strong march
Not part of some demonstration
To change the world
But to the store
Or to your work

Then suddenly
One of you drones spot me
And for a moment
Panic fills my monkey heart
As I consider the possibility
Maybe you can read my thoughts

The world stops
And for a moment
I await the impending sound of sirens
Heading in this direction
To seize me
For the darkness
Spare our carefully constructed
Lego model social contract
From the likes of me
But nothing happens

And I wonder if you wonder
If I can hear inside you too
And what it would mean for mankind
If we could all know each other
With such intimacy and truth
Would we all put down arms
And bathe in a glow of clear understanding
Or would the thought police
Turn from fiction to reality
As I watch you watching me
Ideas from comic books
And science fiction circling round

But the light changes
You cross the street
The moment is lost
Like so many before this
Silent seconds with strangers I will never know

Le boisson que vous allez savourer est extremement chaude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home