Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I remember when I could remember when

I don’t remember my way
Around there anymore
Return to vacation
In the prison box whose bars
I threw myself against
Now I go back again
For reasons unexplained
And invariably
I get lost amongst
The tree lined streets
And mansion-filled boulevards
A new generation of prize won kids

But I can still find the path
To your door
And to the house
Where his mom used to live
Or that brick covered steeple
We worshipped and wallowed in
No longer recognizable
From when it was ours
The rest is foreign now
Unknown and surprising
Like some country I’ve never been
A language I don’t speak

But that doesn’t stop me
From driving around
In my mother’s purple beast
Trying to find our ghosts
Grasping at uncatalogued pieces
Which have become faded
And tangled in my memory
Vine covered and unmapped

Getting lost
In our old stomping ground
Those little corners and crevices
Where we carved out
Our greatest creation
And our greatest destruction
Fragments now sought after
In the mind that tried so hard to forget

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home